I’m a little embarrassed to admit this, but checking Instagram is one of the first things I do in the morning.
But I know that I am not alone
Did you know that Instagram has grown from a million users in December 2010 to over a billion in 2020?
In fact, it’s one of the most popular social media platforms in the world. You may be asking, “How can I use this platform?”
A great way to connect with your audience is with an Instagram poll.
According to HubSpot research, quiz or survey stickers are one of the most popular Instagram story formats.
Surveys are a great way to keep in touch with your audience and even do market research.
This post will show you how to set up a survey on Instagram and how to use this feature.
How to take a survey on Instagram
- Open Instagram and swipe left.
- Make sure to post to Story (under the record button).
- Record the video or picture you want to post.
- Click the sticker icon in the upper right corner.
- Scroll down and select Survey or look for the sliding survey.
- Enter the question and answers.
- Click Submit To and share your survey with your story.
- Track the results.
1. Open Instagram and swipe left.
To get started with Instagram polls, you first need to open the app. Then swipe left. This will take you to the screen where you can post your stories.
2. Make sure you are posting to Story (under the record button).
When you’re here, make sure to post on your story. Under the record button you can see whether you are posting a story, a role or live.
To post a survey, make sure to post to your story.
3. Record the video or picture that you want to post.
Now just record the video or picture you want to post.
Once you’ve saved it, you can simply select its content on this screen by clicking the image icon at the bottom left. This will take you to your camera roll where you can select a video or picture.
4. Click the sticker icon in the upper right corner.
To add the survey, click the sticker icon in the top right corner. It’s the third symbol from the left.
5. Scroll down and select Poll or find the sliding poll.
Now you should see different sticker options including location, time, questions and more. Scroll down and select the poll icon.
You can either do a question and answer survey or a sliding survey. To select a sliding survey, you need to scroll down until you find the option for the sliding bar.
6. Enter the question and answers.
When you’ve chosen the question and answer poll, it’s time to enter your question and possible answers.
With the sliding bar selected, you’ll want to type your question and add an emoji to the sliding bar.
7. Click “Send To” and share your survey with your story.
Now all you have to do is post. Simply click on “Send To” and share the contribution in your story.
8. Track the results.
Once you’ve posted a survey, it’s time to wait for the responses. To see the results, you should look at your stories.
Then click the “Seen By” icon in the lower left corner. This shows you who voted and what results were achieved.
You’ll also see a “Share Results” button here. You can click on it and post the results in your story to let your viewers know about the result of the survey.
When creating a poll, remember to place it strategically.
You don’t want people to have trouble voting because of the placement. Make sure your poll is placed near the middle and not too high or low for the other story icons to block.
As you can see, posting a survey on Instagram is a simple process. But how do you use this feature?
Here are some of the top ways you can use Instagram polls:
- Learn more about your audience. Polls are a great way to talk to your followers. You can get to know their interests and opinions through a simple survey.
- Market research. You can also use Instagram polls to find out what your audience wants to see from your brand. For example, I’ve seen a powder protein company ask questions about what flavors customers want to see and then deliver those flavors. This makes your audience feel part of a community and you value their opinion.
- Collect feedback. If you want to know what your customers think, just ask them. You can use polls to collect feedback and information from your followers.
- Share your content. Instagram polls are a great way to get your audience interested in your website’s content. Hopefully there is enough interest in the survey that your followers will head to your website to see your blog.
- Give a giveaway. I’ve seen many influencers use the sliding bar to collect freebies. After you post a few story slides on the giveaway, the last slide usually says, “Slide this bar so I know you typed it.”
- Increase Engagement. Polls are very helpful for the Instagram algorithm. The more engaged your audience is with you, the more likely they are to actually see your content on their feed.
Ultimately, using Instagram polls is about getting in touch with your followers and getting their attention. To learn more about Instagram marketing, you can take the HubSpot Instagram training course.