With 3.68 million active sellers on Etsy, figuring out how to ensure market visibility can be daunting.
How do new customers find your business with thousands of similar offers? How do you make sure that your products are at the top of the search list?
The answer to these questions is simple: you need an Etsy Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy.
Why you need an SEO strategy for your Etsy shop
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) refers to the practice of developing content, copies, graphics, and a number of other factors tailored to increasing search visibility.
While the SEO topic generally focuses on Search Engine Results Pages (SERPs), the savvy Etsy store owner can use similar strategies to ensure that products and store listings appear at the top of the ecommerce website’s search function.
How Etsy Search works
The Etsy search function is designed to connect consumers to the products they want using two different factors: ranking and query matching.
Query matching refers to how effectively a potential consumer’s search term is paired with Etsy inventory lists. The search function analyzes attributes, categories, tags and titles in order to match them with each searched term.
After the query comparison, the search engine determines the list rank by aggregating eight final evaluation criteria:
- Quality of the listing score: This metric determines how well a collection converts. This score increases as a consumer makes a purchase, resulting in a higher quality listing.
- Customer and market experience value: All shops receive a score based on a combination of customer reviews, negative feedback and completing the “about” part of the shop description.
- Technology score for context-specific ranking (CSR): Artificial intelligence (AI) is used to understand consumer interest and deliver results that meet those needs. Essentially, this ranking examines past behavior to identify current desires.
- Relevance factor: Exactly matching keywords get high rankings in the Etsy search hierarchy. If an exact match is not found, search points are assigned to secondary keyword sources, including attributes, tags, titles and categories that match the consumer’s query.
- Shipping price: Etsy stores often charge a good amount for shipping. Stores that ship for free or at a discount have higher shipping prices than their more expensive stores.
- Update rating: When an item is first published, it gets a high freshness rating, which improves the product for a short time after it is first listed.
- Translations and language score: Shop information should be submitted in the language the consumer selected when setting up an Etsy account.
- Shopping Habits Score: Similar to the CSR technology score, this metric relies on past behavior to determine the current likelihood of purchase.
10 Tips for Etsy SEO
While these metrics may not be controllable, there are strategies to improve your ranking in Etsy search. By optimizing these 10 Etsy SEO areas, you can improve your overall shop ranking and possibly increase the visibility and reach of your offers.
Think about your shop name
Your business name becomes the title of your business page that will be displayed in SERPs. In making this all-important shop title, make sure that consumers understand what you are selling.
For example, if your name is too whimsical, consumers can bypass your products in search of more defined pastures.
For example, Etsy seller The House Plant Nursery chose a name that clearly states what a consumer will encounter upon entering their store.
This technique removes confusion and brings the consumer straight to their intended source.
Another consideration when choosing your business name is its length. With character restrictions on username on social media platforms, from 15 on Twitter to 55 on Etsy and Facebook, it’s worth considering a short name that won’t get truncated by these sites.
Add high quality photos
A picture is worth a thousand words. When it comes to Etsy photos, a picture is infinitely more valuable.
As a purely online platform, photos need to grab attention, get attention, and convert consumers.
According to Etsy, product photos are the deciding factor in buying a shop that outweighs price, shipping costs, and customer reviews.
Etsy allows sellers to add up to ten photos per item. So choose your images wisely. The more users that are drawn to images, the higher your overall ranking can be.
Choose Etsy SEO Keywords Carefully
Keywords are the foundation for improving Etsy SEO. Etsy prefers to highlight stores that have direct matches to buyers’ keywords.
Think like a buyer to find the best keywords for your store.
What would your target customer be looking for? What terms are you most likely to type in the search bar?
After you’ve identified the keywords based on your target audience, review the direct competitor’s keywords to ensure that all relevant terms have been captured.
While organic research is a good place to start, using an SEO tool like Ubersuggest will help with detailed keyword data and provide metrics on backlinks, content ideas, and additional keyword suggestions.
Use keywords in tags, titles, categories, and attributes for a robust Etsy SEO strategy to more effectively match your listings with customer inquiries, which can potentially lead to increased visibility.
However, don’t go overboard with keywords by blocking titles full of them or other keyword filling methods. Etsy is actively working to reduce the visibility of keyword-filled titles.
Optimize your shop areas
Shop areas structure products into researchable groups. Possible sections include groupings by size, type, color, etc. These sections are displayed as links in the left sidebar of the shop.
In addition to helping the entire shop organization, sections can help improve your Etsy SEO.
Each section acts as an independent location with a unique landing page and title derived from the section name. These individual landing pages offer more ways to use your keywords.
Consider using section headings that double the number of keywords, which in turn improves store organization and the likelihood of an early search occurrence.
Use all available tags and tweak them
You can have 13 tags in item descriptions. Take this opportunity to get the most out of your keywords.
Each day has space for 20 characters. So focus on long-tail keywords and think beyond your existing keywords.
Etsy recommends using regional phrases, synonyms, and multi-word phrases when creating tags. However, the platform does not recommend repetitive highlighting, deliberate misspellings, multiple languages, and keyword pluralization.
Optimizing these tags will help you identify your product better so that your consumer can find your shop more easily, which can improve your Etsy SEO.
Update your listings often
When you renew existing Etsy listings, they get a small boost in the site’s search rankings.
While this approach isn’t a long-term Etsy SEO solution, it can increase the visibility of searches for more competitive keywords.
By giving your listing an extra boost during times of high consumer activity (e.g. holidays), you can increase the number of consumers who will see your listings.
Backlinks or inbound links are links to your business or products from external websites. These are vital to the Etsy SEO strategy as they increase search engine confidence in a website.
There are three strategies you can use to earn backlinks even if you are not a well-known brand:
- Create your blog: Blogs can expand your audience, increase your SEO score, build your presence as an industry leader, and help you get quality backlinks. By creating unique, valuable content, others can link to your shop or certain products.
- Meet people: By sharing links to your blog and shopping on Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest, and other social media channels, you increase the chances of reaching new consumers who may backlink your store.
- Achieve: Identify media that are likely to contain your shop or products. These outlets can contain blogs, publications, and Instagram accounts. After you have created this list, access it. Encourage these people to link to your website by offering them a discount or a sample item.
Create a seamless customer experience
Etsy wants consumers to have a comfortable shopping experience. For this reason, the customer and experience value is included in the company’s search algorithm.
When shops adhere to Etsy guidelines and have strong customer service, they can get a boost on Etsy SEO.
To help this factor improve your Etsy search engine optimization, fill out all of the sections in your store, paying special attention to payment, shipping, information, privacy, and returns and exchanges.
Quickly reply to customer service messages and resolve any negative feedback.
Run Etsy Ads for your shop
While word of mouth could get you a long way, running Etsy ads can help you navigate the rest of the way – while comfortably improving your Etsy SEO.
Use paid advertising to increase your search reach. When you select an article as a sponsored list, you pay per click for the article to keep it in the top position in search results.
After you’ve increased visibility and sales through sponsored offers, request reviews to improve your customer and market experience rating, as well as your overall Etsy SEO.
If there’s one way off this blog, it’s the importance of visibility on Etsy. With your store set up and ready to sell, it’s time to give your products the best chance of being found.
When you start building your marketing strategy, use the methods above to improve your Etsy SEO.
If you optimize your shop and your offers, your search visibility should increase, attract new customers and expand your reach across the entire platform.
What’s the Most Effective Etsy SEO Strategy That You Have Used?